Tuesday, May 3, 2011

NE India trip day 1 --- Visit to Kolkata


I had heard a lot about Kolkota, especially in my history classes and had a lot of mixed opinions about it. It is only after I visited the place, I got a true picture of the same. One of the oldest cities in India, Kolkata still looks almost the same since probably 40-50 odd years, safeguarding its history. The Trams, old Buses, the Tonga and not to forget the buildings, lot of which are very old. However there have been keen improvements in several aspects such as the underground Metro Rail which was the first underground metro to operate successfully in India.

We( my father, mother, brother and I) started by Plane from Bangalore at 11.30A.M and reached Kolkata at around 1.30 PM. I had expected a tough time since I was of the opinion that the people of Kolkata were reluctant to speak anything other than Bengali. But it was a comfortable going. We caught a taxi which was really cheap compared to the prices in Bangalore, and moved to our Hotel( I forgot its name) which was booked by Nirmala Travels, the tour organizers. After having a good lunch-snacks at 4.00 PM we left for purchase.

An areal view from the plane.
Sree Leathers was our first destination. My mother was told by a lot of people about this Leather shop, so we definitely had to go there. Suddenly we saw the Metro station and just made a to and fro Joy ride( Actually even the girls were quite good looking so it was really a joy ride). Then we went to Sree Leathers, the goods were good with fair enough prices. We bought some leather goods. In the mean while my mother saw a saree shop near by and couldn't resist the temptation of buying some. We were returning home while we saw a whole line of road side sellers selling some jackets. These were actually good and we bought quite a few of them. Finally we went to our hotels where all the group members had arrived. I was also happy to see a few guys from our age group. Then had a good meal and a good sleep( was very tired after walking).

NE India trip day 2...

No comments:

Post a Comment